Saturday, September 17, 2011

change of business model?


i was referred by an existing client to a large multi-national company in singapore who wanted a comprehensive review and recommendation of a worldwide health cover for one of her senior management staff and family.

after doing my 'homework' which took the better half of a week, i tabulated my comprehensive recommendations (in an excel spread sheet) to the senior hr staff of the multi-national company. prior to this, the latter shared with me what an international broker has quoted to them and i assured her i can still value-add on top of what has been proposed.

my comments:

today, i was told that they have decided to go with the recommendation of the international broker, period and i was clearly upset that no reason was given as to why the business did not go my way.

why was i upset?

on the pricing and benefits of the worldwide health coverage, there can be no valid reason why the multi-national company can ignore what i have recommended over the competitor. let me illustrate with some examples why one of my recommendations is compelling in terms of both pricing, value and benefits:

my recommendation: US$12,511.85 annual premium
the competition: US$15,738.00 annual premium

annual policy limit of my recommendation: US$3.4 Million
annual policy limit of the competitor: US$2 Million

oupatient benefits (mine): Paid in full
outpatient benefits (competitor): Limited to US$10,000.00

and suffice to say, there are also many other benefits in my recommendation which were vastly superior to the competition. in short, i fulfilled my promise to value-add to what has already been proposed to the senior hr person of the multi-national company.

and to think i have expanded so much time and effort over the better part of this week, giving my whole-hearted attention and focus to my referred prospect.

what is even more rediculous is that i can also offer the same plan which the competitor has proposed.

perhaps this is the proverbial final straw (that broke the camel's back) on the rethink of my businees model, going forward.

why?

simply because i did my darnest, i shared the knowledge of what was available in the market place, i demonstrated unbiasness and independence, and most significantly, i brought value to the company, etc and the response, i was swatted away like a troublesome mosquito!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment