Friday, February 3, 2012

foreign maid insurance


on my recommendation (against the one sold by the maid agency from another insurer), my client took up the foreign maid insurance from ntuc-income.

short and sweet, right?

no, because there is a twist here in terms of the maid's pregnancy test (while in indonesia) proved positive which invalidated her in-principle approval from the ministry of manpower to work in singapore.

and to cut a long story short, i applied to ntuc-income to cancel the foreign maid insurance policy and here, there was another twist because there was a 'penalty' imposed on the cancellation which amounted to 30% of the premium paid.

my comments:

contractually, ntuc-income has the legal right to impose the penalty because there is a clause in the policy document stating there will only be a refund of 70% of the premium for cancellation within 60 days of the inception of the policy.

needless to say, my client was extremely displeased with me and the only way for a resolution of my client's unhappiness was for me to make up the loss of 30% of the premium paid.

but i'm not letting this episode end here as i'll be appealing to ntuc-income to refund the premium in full.

stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment