Saturday, December 3, 2011

buying travel insurance didn't offer peace of mind


today, there was a letter by ms yeow soo yong published in the straits times who lamented on her not so positive experience of buying chartis travel insurance, not once but twice.

the first time in may, chartis erred in the coverage which should have been international, rather than asia as she was travelling to maldives.

the second was for her trip to europe this month but the salesperson at the travel fair stated the period of coverage to be 14 days which should have rightfully been 15 days. and the story goes on and i quote ms yong:

Subsequently, a Chartis staff member called me and told me I had to top up the premium because I was to be covered for 15 days, not 14. Upset that I was inconvenienced by the insurer's mistake again, I refused to accede and sought an explanation for the poor service.

"As my travel date neared, I did not hear from Chartis, and I did not have my money deducted for the policy. Uneasy, I called Chartis to confirm coverage but was shocked when I was told that it had lost the policy. I had to send Chartis a copy of my policy, which it is now reviewing."

which led ms yong to ask this question:

"Did the staff member who sought an increase in premium for the mistake made by Chartis arbitrarily cancel the policy without informing me?
"

ms yong concluded by saying that if she did not check again with chartis, she would have travelled to europe with the assumption that she was covered by her travel insurance.

my comments:


sometimes, it really boggles my mind as to why should any consumer have to put up with the hassles of taking up travel insurance, diy or going direct when the simple solution is to engage a financial adviser who will only be too happy to effect the travel insurance policy even at a moment's notice.

what do i meant?

i remember just last week, my client and his wifey were on their way to changi international airport and he called me and the conversation went like this:

client: sorry to trouble u, patrick, i will be reaching the airport soon and i forgot to take up travel insurance. can do now or not?

myself: sure, no problem so long as u are not already boarded on the airplane.

there u go. all it takes is a short call and the travel policy is as good as done and all u need to do is to enjoy your well deserved vacation anyway in the world.

but i should still applaud ms yong for not leaving home without her travel insurance policy because this is the most affordable component of any vacation and yet, it buys the much desired peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment